Details and Requirements to Referee
- You must be two years older than the age of the teams playing to center, you can do lines for players older than you
- No experience necessary
- Register and pay your USSF (US Soccer Federation) Fees
- Take the necessary hours of instruction through Cal South (Online instructions and field clinic)
Everyone will become a Grassroots referee and permits you to referee both competitive and recreational matches. This is not the lowest level referee.
Below are the steps to gain certification
- Register on the Cal South – Click Here
- Complete Grassroots Referee Certification – Click Here
- Find and Attend Field Clinic – Click Here
*Scroll to bottom of page and filter event type to “Referee Entry Courses”
What is your next step?
For Re-Certifying Referees:
Grassroots Referees – You will need to complete the 2020 re-certification Quiz online – Click Here for the online quiz.
For New Referees:
1) You can now go to our Events Calendar page to register to attend a Referee in person field training. Events Calendar
NOTE: NOW YOU CAN REGISTER FOR A FIELD CLINIC BEFORE COMPLETING THE ONLINE COURSE.
2) You will need to complete the new Grassroots Referee online course to complete the Laws of the Game test. This is done through US Soccer by clicking the link below: U.S. Soccer Learning Center
For those 18 years and older: You will need to complete Live Scan for Cal South & SafeSport Training. Email email@example.com for instructions.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU ARE NOT AN APPROVED REGISTERED REFEREE UNTIL YOU COMPLETE ALL THE REQUIREMENTS FOR YOUR LEVEL.
Once they have verified all requirements are met, they will print out your Cal South State Association Referee Card and and mail it to you along with your badge.